A healthy diet consisting of lean protein sources, high-quality whole grain foods, fresh fruits and vegetables, and low to nonfat dairy is an important part of maintaining health and fueling your body for activity. If you’re health conscious, then you already know about certain foods you should avoid, such as fast foods, deep-fried foods and those that are sugar-laden. But instead of focusing on the things you should avoid, let’s turn the table and emphasize five foods you should definitely be eating. These five superfoods are delicious and will provide you with all kinds of health benefits.
Five Superfoods You Should be Eating
- Eggs. Once upon a time, eggs got a bad rap for causing cholesterol problems. But starting your day off with this protein and nutrient-rich food can lead to consuming fewer calories later in the day without impacting your cholesterol.
- Nuts. Many people avoid nuts because they’re high in calories. A small handful of nuts are rich in protein and healthy fat that promotes heart health by lowering cholesterol. Enjoy one ounce daily between meals to avoid unhealthy snacks and keep your energy levels boosted.
- Quinoa. Whole grains should be part of your daily diet. This protein, fiber and iron-rich grain can reduce your risk of diabetes and heart disease. Prepare it just as you would rice for a healthy side dish or part of the main meal.
- Berries. Berries are versatile, tasty and nutrient-rich. They’re high in antioxidants, which help to rid your body of cancer-causing toxins. Enjoy them with yogurt or oatmeal in the morning or as a between-meal snack.
- Broccoli. The fiber content of broccoli helps control weight, while vitamins A, C, and K provide a multitude of benefits, including strong bones. Steam your broccoli instead of boiling it to retain its nutritional value, as well as its delicious flavor.
You might be wondering what makes something a superfood. Well, it’s not being mentioned on all the talk shows or hyped as the latest magic bullet cure. A superfood is one with a high concentration of phytonutrients and little to no negative properties. Its nutrient content generally outweighs its calorie content, meaning that you’ll reap far more benefits than you might normally for a food of its calorie content. Include these five foods in your diet regularly to feel and look better while knowing you’re doing something good for your body.